Wednesday 22 January 2014

Ian Plett's layout in a truck

   Winnipeg Model Railroad Club members have built some remarkable layouts throughout the years. But there is truly none so unique as the one built by Ian Plett. Ian, a long distance truck driver, built a layout in the bunk area of his truck!


    By Ian Plett
   
    When someone says that they have a model railroad, the image that comes to mind is: what type, how big, is it steam or modern diesel? Where is it located? Is it one of those basement empires or up in the attic, or a shelf layout in a spare bedroom?

     Not all of us have the time or the space to work on such a layout. My job doesn�t give me a lot of home time. I�m a long distance truck driver and I�ve found the way to incorporate my job and my love for model railroading into one. With the kind permission of my boss, I built a shelf layout in the bunk area of the truck that I drive.


     I first got this idea about 8 years ago when I joined the Winnipeg Model Railroad Club. The idea came from one of the members, who had built a John Allen Time Saver module.  Since then the idea has grown from a switching layout to a full loop with sidings. In planning the layout, I used Bachman E-Z Track. I measured the space available in my bunk area, then started laying out different track arrangements on my living room floor. I had the plywood secured and Styrofoam glued down, then I laid the Bachman E-Z Track in place. I traced the outer edge onto the Styrofoam to give me a edge for laying down the cork roadbed. When laying down my track I glued it down and then soldered the track joints to give them strength. 


    The truck I drive has brackets for a second bunk, which is where I bolted down my shelf layout. The basic construction is a 2'x4' frame bolted to the truck's upper bunk brackets. I laid down 3/4" plywood to give the layout some strength, as the truck bounces and vibrates a lot. The layout had to be built for easy removal. I used L-Brackets to secure the plywood to the 2'x4's. I built it in two L-shaped pieces, plus a ridge piece which I secure using C-clamps.  I also used c-clamps to hold the bridge span to the rest of the shelf.    

  
 I take the bridge down when I�m driving. I made a special space on the front of the layout to hold the bridge span so I wouldn�t have to move it every time I needed to get to the lower bunk. If I kept the bridge in place it would bounce up and down as I drove. The noise would drive me crazy, and the truck's vibrations would cause it to break eventually.         

  Prior to building this layout, I hated to do scenery. When I attended the TLR's "Steam on the Prairies" convention in 2010, I went to a scenery building clinic. I was surprised at how easy it was! Now I enjoy making scenery.
  
 I�m modeling the north central plains of North Dakota. The layout is pretty flat, except for a few hills in the back corners. The scenery includes a pond, cuts through hills, trees, roads, buildings, and a parking lot. I use Digitrax DCC or DC depending on what type of engines I bring along. Wiring is pretty basic. My turnouts are manual.  Operation is also basic. I have only one siding.

  I haven�t done much exhibiting, but I've shown the layout at the No. 1 Northern Division's first train meet, held in Winnipeg in November 2011. I also exhibited at "Steam on the Prairies", but at that time it was still a �Plywood Empire�.  
  
   This layout it gives me the opportunity to run my trains away from home. It�s a good way to relax after along day behind the wheel. And who knows, I might be rolling through your town soon!

     Ian has since sold his truck layout. He's now working on a N scale version, as the truck he presently drives doesn�t have much space to build anything larger than 2�x3�. Below are some images of Ian's layout. More images will be presented in future posts.




Hasil gambar untuk model train for beginner

No comments:

Post a Comment